Before you read any further, I want you to take a minute. Close your eyes, take three long inhales and exhales one after the other and really think about what self-care means to you.
Self-care can have a different meaning for everyone, some may practice this daily and others may practice this occasionally. Once upon a time, my thoughts and actions around self-care were that it only occurred a few times a year and involved spending money. Spending money on a massage, a day out shopping, going to a fancy restaurant, etc. If I couldn’t do those things, then self-care was pointless. Fast forward to becoming a mum and I soon realised that self-care does not have to involve money and it certainly does not need to only occur a few times throughout the year!
In fact, self-care should be practiced daily for your health. There’s good reason for this, by practicing daily you’re able to stop, focus and really ground yourself from our very fast paced, stressful lives. As a society we tend to only think of self-care occurring once a week or once a month or even once every six months? It is seen as a luxury and not a necessity in our lives.
For the next week try practicing self-care daily, it does not need to be doing anything fancy, just focus on simple cost free activities. Need some ideas? Here are my self-care tips that do not cost you anything and can be achieved at home.
· Breathe – A simple one and one we often forget to do, this should become part of your daily routine where you set aside 5-10 minutes to purely focus on your breathing. This is a really grounding activity and perfect to practice in the morning before you start your day or before you go to sleep of a night to help you relax.
· Ask yourself and write this down on a piece of paper. What makes me happy or has made me happy today? Find something in your day that makes you happy and use this whenever you feel stressed, angry or irritated to help bring yourself back into that happy state.
· Take a relaxing bath or foot soak. Light a candle or use LED lights, put on relaxing music and sink into relaxation.
· Read a book, listen to a podcast, immerse yourself in something that shifts your focus away from day to day jobs for 30-60 minutes.
· Eat a nutritious diet and drink your 8 glasses of water a day!
· Do your pelvic floor exercises.
· Ensure you are getting enough sleep. Turn the T.V off and put your phone down. Place your head on your soft pillow and ensure you get that 8 hours your body really wants and needs.
· Meditate – don’t ever believe you cannot achieve this; mediation is different for everyone. Plus, the more you practice, the easier and more enjoyable it becomes.
· Use positive language and self-talk – stop putting yourself down, you are worth it!!
· Do some exercise, you don’t need to go hard at it, just do something that helps release those amazing feel good endorphins within you.
I hope these ideas help, they are simple and achievable for anyone.
Of course, reward yourself from time to time also, but remember self-care does not need to involve spending money and it certainly should not be just kept for one day during the week or month.
Practice self-care daily xx